If you are facing a legal concern, you undoubtedly have questions about protecting your legal rights and about how best to proceed. While your situation will be unique to the circumstances involved, the answers to the most frequently asked questions by those in similar situations can help significantly.

Personal Injury FAQ

Can I afford to hire a personal injury attorney?

It is not unusual to worry about how to afford an attorney after being injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence. You are facing steep medical expenses while your earnings decrease, and the thought of also paying an attorney can be daunting. Reputable personal injury lawyers, however, typically work on contingency. This means that your attorney’s pay will be based upon your settlement (or court award), and if your claim is not successful, you won’t owe anything.

Which losses are covered?

Personal injury law allows you to seek compensation for the losses – or legal damages – you experience in all the following categories:

  • Your medical expenses
  • Your lost earnings
  • Your physical and emotional pain and suffering

How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit?

In the State of Louisiana, you have only one year from the date of your injury-causing accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. This makes it important to reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon after the incident as possible.

Immigration Law FAQ

What is immigration law?

Immigration law is the body of law that governs the movement of people in and out of the United States (including the necessary legal documents). Immigration law addresses all the following categories of concern:

  • Who is allowed to enter the country
  • How long non-citizens are allowed to stay
  • Matters related to citizenship

What kinds of visas does the United States offer?

The United States offers a wide range of visas, but some of the most common include the following:

  • Immigrant visas
  • Tourist visas
  • Student visas

If I’m a citizen, can I help a family member get a green card?

Having a green card allows non-citizens to live and work in the United States. Those who are generally eligible to obtain green cards based on the citizenship of a relative include:

  • The spouses of citizens
  • The unmarried children (under the age of 21) of citizens
  • The parents of citizens

What does it mean if I receive a removal notice?

If you receive a removal notice, it means that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) believes you are in the country illegally. As such, an individual hearing and a deportation hearing will both be scheduled, and having an experienced immigration attorney on your side is critical.

Family Law FAQ

What kinds of cases does family law cover?

Family law addresses those legal concerns that directly affect your family, including matters such as the following:

  • Child custody arrangements
  • Child support
  • Spousal support
  • The division of community property
  • Divorce
  • Protective orders
  • Domestic violence cases
  • Child in need of care cases

When your family is involved, having skilled legal guidance on your side is paramount.

What are the divorce residency requirements?

To seek a divorce in Louisiana, you must have resided in the state for at least a year. Additionally, you must file for divorce in a parish where either you or your divorcing spouse currently lives (or in the parish where you last lived together as a couple). 

Is there a separation requirement?

The State of Louisiana requires divorcing couples who do not share children to separate for at least 180 days before a divorce can be granted. If you share children, however, the requirement increases to 365 days.

When is spousal support awarded?

Spousal support is reserved for those divorces in which one spouse is left without the financial resources to continue supporting himself or herself, and the other has the financial ability to help. If, for example, divorce leaves you without the financial means to maintain the lifestyle you achieved during your marriage, spousal support may be ordered.

Can I get a no-fault divorce?

Yes, the State of Louisiana allows no-fault divorces that are based on the above separation requirements. If you have no children and have lived separately for at least six months, or you have children and have lived separately for at least a year, you can obtain a divorce that is not based on fault. While this differs from a classic no-fault divorce that is based on irreconcilable differences, it allows you to divorce without identifying one of you as being at fault. 

Criminal Defense FAQ

What if law enforcement wants to ask me questions?

If law enforcement is interested in asking you questions, the best policy – across the board – is to let them know that you want to speak with an attorney first. It’s far easier to protect your legal rights from the outset – with an experienced criminal defense attorney in your corner – than to fight for your legal rights after the fact. It is important to note that law enforcement tends to be very skilled at eliciting damaging statements from interviewees like you, and invoking your right to counsel early in the process is always well advised. Finally, after requesting an attorney, it’s time to stop talking.

Can an officer use force to arrest me?

In order to make a criminal arrest, a police officer can use the amount of reasonable force that is deemed necessary (within the boundaries of the law). Once you are arrested, you can expect to be handcuffed.

What if I am guilty as charged?

When accused of something, many of us are quick to accept guilt, but if you’re charged with a crime, it’s time to take a different approach. Legal charges are complicated, and without the legal guidance of an experienced criminal defense attorney, knowing the best path forward is exceptionally challenging. Even if you believe you are guilty as charged, you should not make a move until after you’ve discussed your case with a seasoned attorney.

We Offer the Professional Legal Services You Are Looking For

The seasoned legal team at Christian Sauce Law Firm, LLP, in Gretna, Louisiana, offers a wide range of legal services that are designed to help you and your loved ones address your legal concerns head-on – with the peace of mind that comes from having trusted legal counsel in your corner. We are on your side, so please do not wait to contact or call us at 504-301-1184 today.